This small triangle of grass located at the junction of Church Street, Church Walk and Church Terrace is named after the stink that came from the tannery, located behind Tannery Cottage. The process of turning animal hides into leather was a dirty and smelly one, as the skins had to be soaked in large pits of urine and dung to remove the hairs and flesh. Fortunately for those of a sensitive disposition, only the name lingers on.
The beautiful Oak tree in the centre of Pinchnose Green is called the Coronation Oak as it was planted to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902.
Next to Pinchnose Green stands the Cat House, a timber Tudor building decorated with images of cats with canaries in their paws! Opposite the Cat House stands the Reeve House, the 15th century home of the reeve of Stretham Manor who managed the running of the estate. To the right, St Peter’s Cottage, is one of the earliest buildings in the village dating from the 1400s.