Nep Town, meaning "Up" or "High" town, was an ancient settlement before Henfield existed. Note the workhouse on the left, now called Cedar View, built in 1736 to house the destitute of the parish. It closed in 1837 following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834. Nep Town runs along the edge of the sandy ridge. Turn left briefly into Weavers Lane for fine views of the South Downs and water meadows (which we will see later). A route from the settlement ran to a wharf on the River Adur (seen at 8). Early settlers saw the ridge of Nep Town, from the river, as an opportunity to live on secure, well-drained, fertile land.